Friday, October 3, 2008

Yes, it's Friday Night!

Don't feel sorry for me- it is Friday night and I am sitting here posting on my blogs. Let me explain!  Jim is out of town on business- he will be home in a couple hours. Anna is in bed sleeping soundly. Johnny is doing a community service project with school and sleeping at a friends house. Personally, I am quite happy. It is a time to be peaceful and reflective. 

I have been thinking of my faith, my job as spiritual teacher and my walk with Jesus. In many ways I feel very inadequate. I was raised in a family that did not talk about God- at all. My brother cringes when I speak of faith and my sister's faith journey is just beginning. My mother and I developed a spiritual relationship over the years. We had wonderful discussions that were helpful and enlightening to both of us. She passed away in April. I miss her very much but God has been kind and strengthened me to carry on. I was raised Episcopal and I am sorry to say they only go to church when you can't golf, there is not a Viking game on TV and they can't think of a reason why not to go. I still have a bit of that in me and it is a constant battle in which the opposition loves to taunt me. I have since converted to Catholic. I agree with many of the teachings, the service is similar to the Episcopal church and Jim was raised Catholic. I feel at home and it works well with our family.

So I was sitting in confirmation in 7th grade and the priest is talking about the Holy Trinity- I was all ears, it made so much sense to me. I guess that was the moment that the Lord was alive in me. I believe he gave me a heart to hear his word and to believe. If you are born again- that was it for me! When I could drive I attended church on my own. I have had many periods of time when I was closer to our Lord and when I was NOT. I have likened my journey to a dog on an extendable leash- sometimes I am walking right there with the Lord and sometime I am so far away- I am not walking with anyone. I have had a few life changing events. When we had our first child I became pro life. It was very obvious at that moment that my previous thoughts were wrong- as simple as that- they were wrong.  I have had a miracle of healing in my life, for which I am very thankful. 

Jim and I have had a few life changing events also which has brought us to where we are now. We are very thankful to our Lord Jesus and are lives are devoted to him. We look to our Lord for guidance and we are here to serve him. 

Throughout the blogs and journals I have read- I have found such amazing people (mostly women) who love the Lord. Their writings have been so inspiring and they have opened their hearts and shared their deepest thoughts. Many times they will quote scripture and I love it! I would read it and think "wow" where did you find that (of course in the bible but where in the bible) then I would think they probably grew up with a family of believers and maybe their Dad was a minister and they have studied the Bible and memorized scripture. Oh I could never do that... Now, I don't have enough brain cells for the memorizing part BUT I have to tell you- I decided that I cannot be afraid of quoting scripture. It is not a magic touch that you need- it is faith in our Lord, a willingness to trust him and try something new and BINGO!  I got my bible by my computer and I open it now and the verses come popping out at me. Each one I read seems better that the next!  It is a live with God's words and it is so cool!

I do have more to say at a later date but for now this is it!

A final word: Be strong with the Lord's mighty power. Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies and tricks of the opposition.
Ephesians 6:10-11

Who new that Ephesians and Phillipians had such great stuff in it! I am just finding that out!! Thanks God! Oh, and it was my mom that gave me this bible!

No comments: